Spanish – Language (8685)
The Cambridge International AS Level Spanish syllabus enables learners to achieve greater fluency, accuracy and confidence in the language as it is spoken and written, and improve their communication skills.
They will learn how to improve their use of Spanish in a variety of situations, understanding how to read texts and other source materials, extract information, initiate conversations and respond to questions both orally and in writing.
We require students that register to this course, have an IGCSE certificate in Foreign Language Spanish with a minimum mark of A. If registering students have completed a curriculum that is not Cambridge International in grades 9 and 10, they will be required to sit an internal Spanish examination at our High School Campus.
Cambridge International AS and A Levels in languages other than English are accepted by universities and employers as proof of linguistic ability and understanding. Successful language students gain lifelong skills, including:
- the ability to communicate confidently and clearly in the target language
- a sound understanding of the nature of language and language study, and of the skills and abilities required for further study, work and leisure
- insight into the culture and contemporary society of countries where the language is spoken
- better integration into communities where the language is spoken
- positive attitudes towards language learning, towards the speakers of other languages, and towards other cultures and societies
- skills which can be used in other areas of learning, such as analysis and memory skills.
Recognition and Progression
Cambridge Internationals expertise in curriculum, teaching and learning, and assessment is the basis for the recognition of the programmes and qualifications around the world. Every year thousands of students with Cambridge International AS & A Levels gain places at leading universities worldwide. They are valued by top universities around the world including those in the UK, US (including Ivy League universities), Europe, Australia, Canada and New Zealand.
UK NARIC, the national agency in the UK for the recognition and comparison of international qualifications and skills, has carried out an independent benchmarking study of Cambridge International AS & A Level and found it to be comparable to the standard of AS & A Level in the UK. This means students can be confident that their Cambridge International AS & A Level qualifications are accepted as equivalent, grade for grade, to UK AS & A Levels by leading universities worldwide.
Cambridge International Examinations
Core Candidates take:
Speaking Test – 29% (20 minutes)
Internally assessed and externally moderated
Reading and Writing – 50% (1 hour 45 minutes)
Essay – 21% (1 hour 30 minutes)